Saturday, February 27, 2010

Coming Out...?

Coming out is difficult. Coming out to people that we know and love is even harder. More often than not, it brings two people closer together. Hiding your sexuality from someone you love creates space in your relationship; it is a large secret to keep. But not everyone will be so accepting. There is always a risk involved in coming out.
But at the end of the day, I’d rather people hate me for who I am rather than love me for what I am not.
It must be acknowledged that when you tell your parents that you are gay or lesbian, your risk losing their role in your life. In making the decision to come out to your family, you must be okay with the possibility of this unlikely outcome. For this reason, it helps to build a network of support from close friends. You may need it.

Let’s be real: There is no ideal time to tell your parents that you are gay or lesbian. If you’re waiting for the ideal time, you’ll be waiting forever. There are, of course, some times that are better than others. Coming out during a fight, for example, is not productive. I think it is wisest to come out when things are quiet, tempers are muted and there is plenty of time to talk.


But how do you know if that time is now? I can’t answer that question for you. Some people, come out when they are 17. Some people come out when they are 14. Others come out when they are 40. Some people never come out.


When the time is right, you’ll know it. The circumstances may never be ideal, but you’ll feel it in your heart.
And always remember that there are many resources to help you, and many people to support you. You are not alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But at the end of the day, I’d rather people hate me for who I am rather than love me for what I am not"
tante bijak sekali... *memandang kagum.. :x
keep on rockin'!! p^^p
-alev-

floo said...

hehehe... kmu ini ya.. :P

tante? brasa kyk tante girang..:P

Thanks ya...

Anonymous said...

Coming out??

hmmm.....kayaknya bakal tetep keep in the closet deh hehehe

-Jill-

floo said...

Yaahh... itu hak semua orang kok.. yang penting di pikirkan masak2 dlu... :D

Anonymous said...

Suatu kebahagiaan tersendiri bisa dicintai sebagai diri kita sendiri.. tanpa perlu mengenakan topeng-topeng. Namun... terkadang topeng perlu dipakai untuk melindungi hati orang yg kita sayangi.
Hmmm.. kalo masalah waktu sie, kayaknya g akan pernah ada waktu yg tepat.. yang ada hanya.. kita berani g ambil kesempatan itu.. keputusan akhir tetap di kita... *tumben aya serius... kqkkqkqkq*

*aya*

Given

I thought that love would be softer, sweeter and kinder. I found out with my first love that those thoughts were just a happy delusion. Fall...